Sunday, February 17, 2008

The basic process

Let me tell you a little about my basic process for making ACEOs. Fair warning, however, if you try this: they are very addictive little things.

I start by cutting either 140lb. watercolor paper or bristol board into 2.5x3.5" rectangles. This is the standard size for art cards. This is also the size trading cards (baseball, etc) come in, so ACEOs can fit into trading card protectors for collecting.

My latest series of watercolor paintings has also included inks. For "Fruit Slice" (see the images to the right), I began with the black ink and gave the card a black edge. Then, with ink, I created the abstract design, and then painted with bright bold watercolors. When it was dry, I varnished both sides to protect the watercolor. I usually varnish watercolor for safekeeping, but not always inks. I'd love to hear about other artists' methods!

Many times, these little works of art are the basis for larger works.

I keep all ACEOs in resealable protective card sleeves. This makes a nice presentation, and the card stays in good condition.

You can see many examples - for sale! - on www.aceomarket.com. Please visit!

1 comment:

pelecypods said...

This is great! I also put a simple way of making ACEO cards on my blog.
I will be putting more lesson on as time permits.
There are so many ways of making them. Like your blog.